Friday, January 06, 2006

confessions of a frazzled new twin mom

1. I gave up on trying to breastfeed Henry and Jack weeks ago. When they were in the NICU, I pumped every 3 hours on the dot and refused to allow a drop of formula to pass their lips. But after they were both home, there was not as much time to sit and pump and they weren't good enough at nursing to get all of their meals at the breast. So now? They're 99.9999999% formula fed. Except for Henry who gets to comfort nurse every once in a blue moon if he's really fussy. Like yesterday at Baby and Me yoga.

2. I've given up on keeping pacifiers and bottles separate. If one of the babies is hungry or needs a non-nutritive sucking device, I reach for the closest bottle or binky- I don't care whose mouth has been on it last, as long as it's not the dog's.

3. I forgot to pack clean diapers and spit-up cloths to take to Baby and Me yoga yesterday. The result? A sopping wet Henry fussing through the 2nd half of class (See #1). The worst part? I didn't even excuse myself to go home and change him. And I wouldn't let my yoga instructor hold him while I tackled a pose that needed both hands because I didn't want her to know that he was wet.

4. I let both boys hang out in the swing and vibrating chair for extended periods of time, so that I can cook or eat, or get dressed. They are always strapped in, but sometimes only semi-attended to. I mean, I'm close enough to see them, but not close enough to touch them.

5. I haven't given either of them a real bath in weeks. They get their faces, necks, and hands washed daily. And their diaper area, too. But it feels like too much work to strip them down entirely and put them in their little tub. They get so darn slippery!

6. In order to cut down on trips to do laundry, I've upped my threshold for clothes covered in spit-up (theirs and mine). If it's not soaked through and we're not going outside, it stays on.

My new year's resolutions? To be a more prepared, more attentive, and more hygenic mom in 2006. Really.

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Hon, from one twin mom to another, all that is perfectly normal. Don't worry about any of it.

9:22 AM  
Blogger penelope said...

Yay - you sound so utterly normal. I'm only having one and I completely anticipate doing exactly what you're doing!

bravo!!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

I agree! You're doing great!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Indigo Wolf said...

Thank God you're so normal about it! lol.

2:46 PM  
Blogger liz said...

Mom of a singleton here and I must say that the single greatest invention is that of MOIST WIPES.

Do what you need to do to keep them fed and warm. And to keep yourself fed and warm.

The rest is gravy.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home