Tuesday, October 18, 2005

two weeks old

The twins are two weeks old today. I can hardly believe that I was being prepped for surgery at this very minute exactly two weeks ago. And that now I am a mommy. A mommy with a full two weeks experience in the mothering practices of the NICU.

I have been doing my part in taking care of the boys. I don't do as much as the nurses which leaves me with a strange and guilty feeling, but I do change diapers, wash faces, take temperatures, hold hands, rock and cuddle, read and sing. It's motherhood light on the caretaking parts, heavy on the emotion. Bonding with Henry and Jack has taken a bit longer than I anticipated, but we're all getting used to each other and falling a little more in love with each other everyday. At least I am. I shouldn't put words into their mouths. But I can say for certain that they recognize my voice and touch. Both boys open their eyes when I greet them through the porthole in their isolette. Neither of them cry when I slowly and clumsily change their diapers or attempt to swaddle them in a hospital issue receiving blanket. Not so when the nurses (as kind and as gentle and as efficient as they may be) do the very same tasks. It may be a small thing, not crying for mommy, but it means a lot to me.

Both Henry and Jack are doing well. The big news yesterday was that since both of them are off of supplemental oxygen, have no more IVs, and are eating like horses (okay, miniature ponies), they have been moved from the blue team to the green team. Which means they are not considered sick, just small. To use the NICU lingo, Henry and Jack are feeders and growers. They're essentially hanging out in the hospital eating and gaining weight. In a couple of weeks we'll teach them how to drink from a bottle, from my breast. My husband and I will practice giving them baths in a tub, dressing them. We're moving, they're moving in the right direction. Towards coming home.

In the meantime, I have to log in a few more sessions with the breast pump each day to accomodate the growing appetites of my growing boys.

6 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

Congratulations on your growing boys! Big hugs to you.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

COngrats on the babes moving on to the green team. I also wanted to commend you for pumping for your baes. Whatever they get from you is liquid gold to them. I've read breastmilk from moms of preemies are higher in calories than that of moms of full terms. So kudos to you!

5:51 PM  
Blogger spiller said...

I can't believe they're two weeks old already!I'm so glad they're doing so well...and I'm sure your diapering skills are fabulous. Not crying is a big thing.
Congratulations and hoping they come home soon!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Indigo Wolf said...

Oh wow! I'm really hapy for you, and I wish you the best in this journey.

2:55 PM  
Blogger April said...

Congratulations on your hungry and growing boys! I hope the time in the NICU goes quickly, and you're soon able to work on your bonding in your own home.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I know these past two weeks must have been very hard, so I am SO glad that they are doing so well. Eating and growing ... it doesn't get any better than that! You take care of yourself, o.k.? Also, before I forget, I hope you are feeling very encouraged about the whole bonding thing. I had the same experience with my son b/c he was in the NICU. I felt like he was someone else's cute, sweet baby. But, even though it may have taken us a little bit longer to fall in love with one another than someone who's baby was full-term, fall in love we did, and it didn't take that long in the scheme of things.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home