Wednesday, October 12, 2005

early arrivals

Henry and Jack are here!

They made their way into this world 10 weeks early- on October 4th, at 9:25 and 9:27, respectively. 10 weeks early!

On Friday the 30th (the day before my scheduled baby shower), I went to my OB for what I thought would be a routine blood pressure check, but was sent right to the hospital by ambulance. My blood pressure was sky high. I was retaining fluids like crazy and was immediately diagnosed with preeclampsia.

Fast forward a couple of days (past the scary vaginal bleeding and dramatic drop in blood pressure) to early Tuesday morning when I woke up unable to breathe. A chest x-ray showed fluid in my lungs. My almost empty catheter bag showed that what was going in wasn't coming out- signs of kidney malfunction. I was delivered by c-section just a few hours later. Luckily, I'd been given steroid shots upon my admittance so that the boys lungs would be strong. And they are.

So the boys in the NICU and will be there for several weeks. It was hard to leave the hospital without them, but I know that they're getting the best care possible. And the silver lining in this cloud is that I can sleep through the night and can recover from surgery so that when they do come home, I am caught up on my rest and am no longer sore.

Despite their small size (Henry was 3 lbs 8 oz. and Jack was 2 lbs 9 oz. at birth), both boys are doing well. Eating a bit more each day, breathing on their own. We visit them often and read to them, sing to them, talk to them, hold them and love to have our fingers squeezed by their tiny hands.

It's a bit surreal to no longer be pregnant. To suddenly be a mother. To suddenly be a mother to 2 little ones who aren't ready to come home. But My boys are little cuties (if I do say so myself), already with distinct personalities and I look forward to watching them grow.

18 Comments:

Blogger bj said...

Wow! congratulations and look forwarding to hearing more when you bring your boys home!

bj

12:06 PM  
Blogger Galloping Cats said...

Wow. Am so sorry for all of the fear and pain you've been through. Happy the boys are doing well and wishing them home with you where they belong as soon as possible.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a suprise! I am so glad your boys are healthy and doing well. Keep us posted.

Tricia

1:53 PM  
Blogger April said...

I am so sorry that this was such a surprise, but so grateful that things seem to be going smoothly, given the circumstances.

All four of you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Julie said...

Many, many congratulations, and welcome to Henry and Jack! I hope you're holding up okay — the long NICU slog can be demoralizing. But it sounds like your boys are doing beautifully. I hope for a quick and joyful homecoming!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Lala said...

Congratulations! A fantastic outcome from what must have been a scary ride! Great names too!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Indigo Wolf said...

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!! What a suprise! Congrats to you.... And your sweet little boys are in my prayers. How are you doing?

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Croupier said...

Welcome to H and J! And congratulations to their brave, strong mother. My biggest loves and best, best wishes for your wonderful family.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Mags said...

I'm so happy for the four of you. Your story of Jack & Henry's birth was eerily similar to my best friend's - her twin boys were born almost 10 weeks early and spent a while in the NICU. You'd never know it, though - they are both wonderful little two-year-old terrors now! Congratulations!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Holy cow! Congratulations! Having had HELLP Syndrome with my preemie son, I know how scary and uncertain this experience can be. It is wonderful that they are doing so well, and I will be praying for them (and for you) in the weeks to come.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Holy cow! Congratulations! Having had HELLP Syndrome with my preemie son, I know how scary and uncertain this experience can be. It is wonderful that they are doing so well, and I will be praying for them (and for you) in the weeks to come. I hope that you are recovering quickly and well from the C-section. Dios te Bendiga!

9:15 AM  
Blogger liz said...

Congratulations!!! Welcome Henry and Jack! I'm glad that you are all doing well and that they will be home with you soon.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous anne said...

Congratulations!! Glad all is well.

6:55 PM  
Blogger spiller said...

So happy to have you back and blogging again!And I'm so happy that everybody's doing okay - scary stuff, but I'm so in awe of you for getting through it.
Take good care of yourself and get well and strong and rested for Jack and Henry's homecoming - I can't wait to hear more about them.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous amanda said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad Henry and Jack are doing well, and I hope you are, too.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Michele said...

Congratulations!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Congratulations! I hope you have a speedy recovery and the boys are able to come home soon.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

Congratulations - wonderful news!!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home