Tuesday, August 23, 2005

long, hot crazy summer

To all of you who have posted or sent me e-mails expressing your concern for my well-being, I thank you. I really didn't mean to make anyone worry- it's been a hectic couple of months and I just haven't had the time to check-in much less write a coherent entry, but I promise to be better from now on.

That said. . .

I am no longer living in Mexico. Packed up the apartment and the husband and the dog and left on July 26th for the good old US of A. We spent a lovely week in Maine with my mother stuffing ourselves silly on lobster and fried clams, corn on the cob, taking the dog to the beach every morning at low tide, hitting the outlet and antique stores and generally having a restful and relaxing time before driving down to hot and humid New York City to our new apartment, our new home.

I don't miss anything about Mexico yet. Maybe the weather. My big belly and ridiculously swollen ankles make any excursion out of the apartment more work than its worth. But my husband is away for 3 weeks- back in Mexico for work and so it is up to me and me alone to walk the dog, buy the groceries, take out the trash and do the dishes. The errands and the heat tire me out and I find myself in bed by 9 every night, too tired to even read myself to sleep.

Today I am 24 weeks and 3 days pregnant. The boys (yes, they are both boys. oh boy. oh boy) are moving around like crazy. I imagine them practicing their karate chops and long jumps inside my uterus. I've been so bad about recording their progress (that's what I get for neglecting my blog) so I have no idea when I felt that very first flutter on the inside (sometime in July) or when the kicks and pushes were first able to be felt from the outside (sometime in early August?) and so I wonder what I will record in the baby albums if I ever find one that I like.

Am spending my days with a phone cradled between my ear and shoulder, my hands perched on the keyboard researching childbirth classes, diaper services, adding things to my registry. I know that there is still plenty of time before the boys are due to arrive, but I am feeling anxious, unsettled. I 'm terrified that I will be put on bedrest and all of these things that I have to do will be undone and the babies will arrive without a place to sleep, a way to get home from the hospital, with not a stitch of clothing to wear. Completely irrational, I know. Even more so since we already have a closet full of baby stuff given to us by friends, neighbors, relatives. We have toys, bibs, clothes, bedding, a swing, a crib. So whether I register or not. Whether I make it to my shower or not- the babies will be/ are already well provided for.

And the good news is- there's really no reason to suspect that I will have to do the bedrest thing. At least not yet. I had my first appointment with my NYC OB a couple of weeks ago and everything looks good. A huge PHEW! since my pre-natal care in Mexico left something to be desired. But that's another story.

Suffice to say, I am settling into the new apartment, am thrilled to be back in Manhattan (despite the ridiculous temperatures), and am anxiously awaiting the return of my husband so that we can pick out a coffee table together.

7 Comments:

Blogger Veronica said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Lurker here..I'ma Manana reader =) I'm so happy to hear you are doing well and congrats on thos boys!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous P. said...

I am so glad that you are back and that you and the boys are doing well. Sounds like your trip to Maine was quite relaxing and probably exactly what you needed :o)

2:19 PM  
Blogger liz said...

Glad to see you back on-line!

Two boys in Brooklyn! Whooey! Two quick suggestions: Dogwalkers/sitters abound in Brooklyn, you can hire one for when walking the dogs feels like too much. And Key Food delivers.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous amanda said...

I'm so glad you posted and so glad that everything is going well.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

First off, it's SO great to hear from you again. Man, I was SO hoping that you and the babies were doing well and you were just too busy to post.

It's great that you're back in the City and getting settled in. This weather has SUCKED, has it not? There have been some days where I thought I was going to DIE, it was so hot and muggy. Thankfully, the last couple of days have been SO nice!

Listen, I don't know if you'll take me up on it or not, but I want to offer my help if you ever need it. Seriously, I know it can be hard to get everything done when you're pg, and I imagine that with twins it gets harder to do things earlier on than with a singleton. So please, if you ever find yourself needing to pick something up or do ANYTHING and you or your DH can't do it for whatever reason, I would love nothing more than to help out. I don't have anything better to do, you know! =)

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I really like your blog. I have a website on martial arts karate that you might find of interest. Here's the link. Have a look at it and let me know what you think.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home