Thursday, January 13, 2005

just call me charlotte

We got the Sex and the City Season Four dvds for Christmas. My husband and I just happen to be big fans of SATC and since we don't have a television that gets any reception whatsoever, we often rent the dvds, order in Chinese food, and have ourselves a marathon, pretending that we still live in Carrie's city, our former city, the one we hope to return to in less than a year.

So imagine my surprise when I realized mid-way through disc two that season four just happens to be the season when Charlotte realizes she can't get pregnant and Miranda gets knocked up during her one-night-only "mercy fuck" with her ex Steve who has lost a testicle to cancer.

I've seen season four before, but it was a long time ago. Waaaaay before I found out that the plot line of my life would more closely resemble Charlotte's than Miranda's. And watching it this time was, well, different.

For one, I could completely empathize with Charlotte who usually annoys me and comes off as too high-strung, too prudish for my liking. In one episode she yells at her husband Trey because she feels like she's doing all the work, the research, talking in the chat rooms to other infertiles, giving herself shots. As she was giving her little speech, my husband turned to look at me. He'd heard it before. The first time from Charlotte herself when we saw that episode many moons ago and then every couple of weeks from me once we received his diagnosis.

Amazingly, I felt bad for Miranda too. Who worries about the effect that her pregnancy will have on her relationship with Charlotte. Who tries to be as sensitive a friend as she can be considering her own situation.

I managed to sit through all of the episodes involving the infertility stuff, up until the point where Charlotte and Trey decide that they can no longer stay married. I was impressed enough by the depiction of infertility. Charlotte was moody, she was sensitive, she was hurt. The only thing she wasn't was bloated. I cried a bit. For me, for Charlotte, for Miranda. But the whole time we were watching, I couldn't help but wonder why the hell this was the season we were given as a present. Did the gift-givers think we'd appreciate watching a story that so closely resembles our own? Were they trying to send us a message? That we're not the only people in the world who go through this? Fictional characters are infertile too? Or was it just a coincidence? Were all the other seasons sold out? Was season four on sale? I'll never know, because I'm not going to ask.

When we first got the gift, I was excited to finally own a season of SATC, imagined myself watching and re-watching that kooky, kinky foursome on Saturdays when I had nothing else planned. But I think I'm going to shelve them for awhile. Maybe forever. It just hits a little too close to home.

3 Comments:

Blogger Galloping Cats said...

I just saw a re-run of the series finale, when they are adopting. First an American couple decides to keep their baby instead, but at the end, they get a picture of their Chinese baby-to-be in the mail. I cried.

As hard as it is and as much as I complain about characters just blithely getting pregnant on TV and in movies, it is just as hard to watch the few characters for whom it is not so easy! Talk about a Catch-22.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. tha hatch is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about infertility prometrium and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about infertility prometrium so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by infertility prometrium

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home