Wednesday, November 03, 2004

where we are now

I'm back from New York.

It was a good trip overall. Great to be back in the City again. To visit my old haunts and visit with friends. And of course, it was great to meet our new doctors.

I "came out" to a couple of my friends while I was there. Everyone was extremely supportive and offered me everything from places to stay during my IVF stint to use of their own sperm. I was a little bit nervous about seeing the people who I wasn't planning on telling (and didn't tell), but there was only one tense moment when a friend asked me what was in the folder I was carrying (all of our records) and I got all flustered and replied "papers, lots of papers" and left it at that. Otherwise, those not in the know just assumed I was long overdue to a visit back "home" and were happy to talk about work and life and love.

My husband had his blood drawn for karyotyping and Y chromosome microdeletion testing on Monday afternoon. We won't get the results back for another 3 weeks or so, but Guru told us that there's only a 10% chance that there would be any abnormalities. We're holding out hope that we're in the 90% that comes back normal.

We met with the new RE on Tuesday morning and he was extremely nice. He told us that our chances of conceiving with IVF/ICSI are about 60-65%. Much higher numbers than the DC clinic gave us. He'd received my HSG films and had reviewed them prior to our appointment (one point for him!) and based on that review and my hormone levels, thinks we're good to go. We told him that we're open to using donor sperm as a back-up and he actually was willing to talk to us about cryobanks (another point for the new RE). He thinks California cryobank does the best job of preparing the sperm and so, we'll begin searching for a suitable donor in earnest as soon as my husband returns from his business trip.

We went straight to Guru's office from the RE and were told that barring any abnormalities on the chromosome test, we'll be good to go for IVF in March. He probably could have squeezed us in to the December calendar, but that would mean me starting drugs tomorrow or the next day and after thinking about it awhile (prior to the appointment) I realized that I do need a little more time to psychologically prepare myself for the ordeal we are about to undertake. But March is good. Only 5 months away, but plenty of time for us to talk more, to find a donor, to make plans.

So here's the plan: I'll go back to the new RE in January for my mock transfer. I'll start my meds in February. I'll spend 2-3 weeks in New York in March for my egg retrieval and embryo transfer. And my husband will fly up a couple of days before the ET to have his surgery. Guru thinks there's a 30-50% chance of finding sperm based on my husband's hormone levels. (Blecch only gave us a 5-15% chance.) And we'll skip the biopsy and go straight to the microdissection surgery- Guru's recommendation as he doesn't want to do unneccessary surgeries.

I was interested to learn that Guru gets lots of patients who have been to other urologists who were unable to find sperm and then show up with lots of scar tissue that just makes his job harder. And happy/relieved that we went with our guts when Blecch suggested a biopsy prior to a sperm retrieval. We've avoided scarring up my husband's testicles which makes our prognosis that much better.

I'm feeling extremely hopeful and know that we made the right choice in switching doctors. Even if these new guys are more expensive and there's no money-back guarantee. We're in the right place. And I feel confident that this will work- not necessarily the first time (I'm not that naive), but eventually.

We're on the right track to parenthood.




2 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

I'm glad your trip was good and that your meetings with your RE and Dr. Guru went well. Congrats on having a plan!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went so well.

~Brooklyn Girl

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home