Wednesday, September 01, 2004

first day

As far as first days at work go, today was not awful. Neither was it incredibly stimulating or challenging. No, I take that back. It was a bit challenging. Staring with the minute I arrived at my new office door only to discover that it was locked. When I asked the secretary about how to gain access to my new digs, she shrugged and said to ask one of the maids or maintenance men for a key. She didn't tell me where to find the maids or the maintenance men, however, so I wandered the campus until I found a woman in an apron with a broom and tried to explain in my best Spanish that I needed the key to my office.

I was supposed to be introduced to the staff and the kids at the morning line-up. That didn't happen. And as a result, all day long I got curious looks from people. There was never really a time to introduce myself or explain what I was doing there (as if I even know myself) because the teachers were always teaching or taking their kids from one place to another. No time to chat.

No computer in my office yet, which for me is like being in an office without oxygen. It'd be bad enought not to have internet access, but no computer at all? I tried writing with a pen and paper and felt extremely stifled. Filled about 8 pages of my notebook making lists of the supplies I need, how bored I was, which referral and observation forms I need to rewrite.

I read files on kids whose problems ranged from attention deficit disorder to having problems with reading. None were all that enlightening.

I ate my lunch. Alone. In my office. Which was so cold I had to keep my jacket and scarf on all day long.

I tried to meet with the principal who was always meeting with someone else.

I made a to-do list for tomorrow.

It was a long day.

3 Comments:

Blogger spiller said...

Sorry it was less than inspiring!

It can only get better from there, right?

4:25 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

The first day of a new job is never fun. I hope things improve today.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about abortion infertility and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about abortion infertility so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by abortion infertility

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home