Tuesday, September 21, 2004

feeling the same way all over again

Hopeful, that is.

Last night my husband and I carefully crafted an e-mail to send to Dr. Guru up at Cornell. We explained our situation in detail and tried to imply that we were less than ecstatic about our latest advice from our urologist. We asked him what he made of our situation and told him we'd be interested in meeting him.

When my husband got to work this morning there was an e-mail waiting for him from Dr. Guru. It wouldn't have mattered what it said, the fact that he replied to us sometime in the middle of the night and didn't have a nurse or receptionist get back to us in a few days would have been enough to convince me to make the switch. But he was thorough, answered all of our questions, and agreed with our understanding that in my husband's case, a diagnostic biopsy may not be predictive of whether or not they'll be able to find sperm later, at egg retrieval.

Now, Dr. Guru is more expensive than Dr. Hope. And there's no money-back guarantee if we don't bring home a live baby after a set number of cycles. But I don't really care right now. I'm impressed that he responded to us so quickly. I like knowing that he's had more than a bit of success with non-obstructive azoospermia, that he is the pioneer of the microdissection technique.

The latest plan is to e-mail him back to request a phone consultation and then to hopefully set up a fac-to-face meeting sometime in November. We realize that he may still advise a biopsy before proceeding to IVF, but I'd feel better about getting that recommendation from him than I did from Dr. Blecch.

There's still quite a bit up in the air, obviously. And will be for a while. But I'm feeling hopeful again. Feeling like the possibility that I will get pregnant with my husband's biological child is not completely out of reach.

5 Comments:

Blogger spiller said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're feeling hopeful.

Three cheers for Dr.Guru- he sounds like the way to go.And like he has a heart, which is key.

5:44 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

Yay! I'm glad you found a doctor you clicked with. That's so important. The Cornell docs know what they're doing, so I'm so glad you're at least checking them out. You're right. The whole money back guarantee thing doesn't mean squat if you're not working with a top notch doc for your situation. I'm glad you're hopeful again. I sure hope Dr. Guru's the one.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Indigo Wolf said...

I always say go with your gut. So if your gut says Dr. Guru is the one to go with, do it! You'll most likely be glad you did.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Emma Jane said...

Hmm! I wonder if the Cornell urologists are more accessible than the Cornell REs... they're pretty careful on the chick-side to make sure they don't talk to you for real until you're paying.

Bravo to you for writing, and yay to Dr. Guru for answering... but oh, there are so many issues in making these decisions, and I feel for you, especially since you have so far to travel either way. Shared risk program vs. terrific urologist? Oooof. I mean, how does one even begin to compare such dissimilar advantages?

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about infertility unexplained and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about infertility unexplained so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by infertility unexplained

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home