Friday, August 13, 2004

you can dance if you want to

(This post is dedicated to my husband who lost an extra ten minutes of sleep last night due to my uncontrolled giggling over the personal essay of donor 23897*. And for being secure enough to know that no matter what happens, our child could never love donor 23897* one millionth as much as s/he'll love my husband)

I found four new potential donors yesterday afternoon. Right hair color, right eye color, within the right height and weight parameters. I was even able to click on their answers to a few questions (for free!) and I have to say, donor 23897* really stood out:

What are your hobbies? ballroom dancing
Do you participate in any sports? I do competitive ballroom dancing.
What is your favorite movie? Strictly Ballroom
What do you consider your best qualities? I am a good dancer. Very graceful and agile.
If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? I have been to England and Italy for international ballroom dance competitions. I loved meeting ballroom dancers from around the world.
What are your long term goals? I find that I am personally fulfilled by dance and in ten years I'd love to become a professional competitive ballroom dancer or a ballroom dance instructor.

Every single question on the form was answered with some reference to ballroom dancing. Since my husband and I are neither graceful nor agile this donor did have some appeal. But we worried that our future child might spend his or her days sashaying around the living room instead of doing his or her homework. That he or she wouldn't want to take the scheduled family vacation because it conflicted with his or her dance classes. That our weekends would be spent at ballroom dance competitions. That we'd need an extra room in the house for all the ballroom dance trophies. That between the costumes and the classes and the entry fees and costs of traveling to competitions, we wouldn't be able to afford to pay for college. Not that our child would get in anyway being so singular minded. We dropped donor 23897* from the list.

(*Note: Donor 23897 is not his real number. All identifying characteristics have been changed to protect the dancer. Except for the fact that he loves to ballroom dance.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Barren Mare said...

That is too funny. Maybe if you were a ballet dancer, it would be a godsend, but I imagine someone a little more...rounded.. for you!

8:22 AM  
Blogger spiller said...

Oh dear me.

You're probably wise to drop Twinkletoes off the list.

Still...it does make you wonder about the whole nature vs. nurture thing. Maybe if you consciously raised the kid in a strictly non-ballroom environment it would cancel out all of his or her lightfooted tendencies...

6:26 PM  
Blogger Indigo Wolf said...

You have to admit, though, that it's fun checking out potential donors. Even if they are somewhat bizarre. The one's to be really wary of are those offering their seed for free. They tend to be really weird for some reason.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home