Friday, July 02, 2004

leaving on a jet plane

I leave for my Romantic First Anniversary Southern Getaway in a matter of hours. My bags are packed, I'm ready to go . . .Looking forward to the nine (yes, 9) days that my husband and I will spend in romantic bliss touring the historical southern cities of Savannah and Charleston. If at all possible, I will check the infertility baggage at the gate and pray that the airline loses it- at least until we return to Mexico and I can once again spend seven hours a day online reading everything I can get my grubby little hands on.

The in-laws called last night to tell us that they had received our information packet from the DC clinic. We have a lot of our more important mail sent to their address as the Mexican postal service can be less than reliable. My husband has been having his mail sent to them since he first moved down here in 1992. And he doesn't have a problem with them opening up his bills and bank statements, knowing just how much he paid for a new pair of jeans, dinner out, groceries. And that would be fine- except now his bills are my bills too. So his parents are very aware of what our spending habits which makes me a little uncomfortable.

Anyway, they opened the packet from the clinic and read what was in it. At this early stage, my husband and I have decided (as much as we can without more information) that we're going to do the shared-risk program at the clinic. Which essentially means that we'll get six IVF cycles for the price of two. And if we don't bring a live baby home at the end of those six cycles, we get our money back.

We figure that, if by some miracles of miracles, it works on the first try, we'll be so thrilled that we won't care that we just lost $10,000. And if six cycles go by without a pregnancy, at least we'll have the money back to help pay for my sure-to-be-necessary stay in a mental hospital, or adoption, should it come to that.

Anyway, the in-laws saw the price of the shared-risk program and called us to ask us about it. "Does your insurance cover it?" Ummm, no. We're pretty much going to wipe out our savings, thank you very much. I think they were shocked at the cost which of course doesn't include the plane tickets we'll need to get to the clinic or the drugs we'll have to take or any of that other stuff that is usually included in the very fine print.

My mother-in-law told my husband (I can't talk to them about this stuff without pulling out a hunk or two of my hair) that the packet also included some forms for us to fill out. I think she wanted to read him the questions and write in his answers for him to save us from having to do it ourselves. But of course the questions were about our sexual histories- number of partners, kinds of contraceptives used, STDs- that kind of thing. And there is no way in hell I'm telling my mother-in-law how many people I've had sex with in my 31 years!

When it was clear that we weren't going to take the survey by phone, my mother-in-law asked if she should send the packet on to one of the hotels that we'll be staying at over our Romantic First Anniversary Southern Getaway. And I shouted "NO!" with a force that was probably unnecessary since I wasn't even on the phone with them. The last thing I want to do on my wedding anniversary is fill out forms about my sexual history and chronicle every pap smear I've had since I was 18. And I don't think my husband will feel particularly romantic after reading, in detail, the ins and outs of testicular biopsy. And so the packet will remain with my in-laws until we arrive in DC at the end of July to fill out the forms ourselves. They will no doubt, have read every last word of the information. But, hey, at least then they'll have a better understanding of what we're really about to undertake.

Anyway, T minus 4 hours and counting and I'm getting away from all of this. At least I'll try. And I promise dear readers, to fill you in on how well I managed to avoid the baby talk upon my return.

2 Comments:

Blogger spiller said...

Good luck!

I'll be thinking of you.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about infertility pregnancy and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about infertility pregnancy so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by infertility pregnancy

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home