Monday, July 12, 2004

always something there to remind me

I'm back.

My husband and I got back to Mexico late last night after a terribly fun trip. Savannah and Charleston are both beautiful cities and if you haven't been, I highly recommend a trip. We toured historic homes and museums, walked the streets, stuffed ourselves silly with all manner of soul food and fresh seafood, and got in some good shopping. It was good to get away. No, it was great to get away.

That said, it's also good to be back. True, I have a to-do list a mile long for today. But its mostly stuff like doing the laundry and re-stocking the refrigerator, and going to the gym to try to work off some of the eating I did while I was away. But I also have to call Ms. PC, the patient care coordinator at the clinic in DC, who still has not gotten in touch with us about our appointment at the end of this month. Arrrgh!

I tried, as promised, dear readers, to leave the infertility stuff at the door while I was away. And for the most part I succeeded. No teary discussions about sperm donors over our anniversary dinner, no blow-outs about why my husband doesn't seem as interested in all of this stuff as me. But, even though I tried to leave it behind, it managed to find me:

1. On the very first day of our trip, I picked up Town and Country magazine at the airport to read on the plane, only to discover an article on infertility.

2. On our last morning in Savannah, USA Today ran an article entitled "Fertility patients deserve to know the odds- and risks"

3. Driving out to Bonaventure Cemetary in Savannah, we heard an interview on NPR with a woman who had gone the sperm donor route and had all 4 of her insurance-paid-for IVF treatments fail.

4. The Ethicist column in yesterday's NY Times magazine featured a question from an infertile couple who wanted to know whether they should tell their child that they had used an egg donor.

5. And the clincher? In the movie on the plane home, "The Whole Ten Yards", the Bruce Willis character supposedly is "shooting blanks". Except, being Hollywood, he never has a test to confirm this suspicion and his wife ends up getting pregnant at the end of the movie.

But five reminders over 10 days isn't all that bad, I suppose. And while I read the articles, listened to the radio, and watched the movie on the plane, I managed not to obsess. And that's what vacation is all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home