Thursday, June 03, 2004

Scarlett Fever

Wednesdays are my movie day. Besides wanting to be out the apartment while Silvia cleans, movies are half-price at all of the theaters in Mexico City on Wednesdays. At 27 pesos a flick, I can afford not to be too picky about what I go to see. Which is a good thing since my choices tend to be pretty limited. The cinemex just a couple of blocks from my apartment tends to favor artsy foreign films which ordinarily would be a good thing. Unfortunately, I have a hard time translating the Spanish subtitles fast enough to really grasp any subtleties. And so I usually settle for a safe American romantic comedy.

Yesterday, however, I went to see Girl with a Pearl Earring. I love Scarlett Johansson, even if she seems to choose projects where nothing much happens. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Lost in Translation so much that I bought the dvd as soon as it came out, but you have to admit, it's not exactly action-packed. Still, I thought Pearl Earring was a satisfying film; I certainly got my money's worth. And it was a nice change from The Prince and Me which is what I settled for last week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home