Thursday, June 24, 2004

onward and upward

I have a job interview tomorrow. The first since my rejection a couple of weeks ago. The ad was vague: English Teacher/English Coordinator, but I applied anyway seeing as I speak fluent English, taught elementary school many moons ago, and have coordinated numerous things (both professionally and otherwise). Those qualifications, it seems, were enough to get me in the door.

I'm glad for the distraction of trying to figure out what to wear to this interview, of trying to time the commute just so- I don't want to be late, but I also don't want to be too early, and then there's the infamous Mexico City traffic to figure into the equation. But between fantasizing about this potential new career development and planning the upcoming trip to the Southland, I've had little time to dwell on the lack o' sperm in my life. That's been a good thing.

My husband will probably want to kill me for mentioning this, but I have to say that there's something better about sex now that we're not doing it purely for procreational purposes. We are no longer beholden to my cycles, forced to mate on a daily basis just because I have an egg that's about to drop. We can do it when we want, because we want to, not because we have to. And the added bonus is that I can get up to pee immediately afterwards if I feel like it. No more legs in the air, butt propped up by a pillow for at least twenty minutes following the act. Romance isn't dead. A post-coital cuddle is possible again.

That's not to say that if by some miracle of miracles, we happened to get pregnant without the aid of a laboratory I wouldn't be happy. I'm just relieved not to have to equate love-making with baby-making all of the time. And I'm happy to let the pregnancy/infertility/baby obsession go for awhile. At least until the fertility clinic calls with the date of our first appointment. Then- potential new job and anniversary trip be damned.

6 Comments:

Blogger Indigo Wolf said...

It's nice to not obsess for a little while isn't it? I'm sure your husband is equally glad that sex has become love-making rather than baby-making. I hear it's just as hard on the man as it is the woman. When you do the inseminations will you be doing it at home or the clinic? My hubby and I will be doing it at home. We're lucky that the clinic we're using will provide dry ice and syringes for at-home insem. Some clinics will only release the sperm to a doctor rather than the patient. home-insemination.com has some info about it but I think membership is required. I have a one year membership so if you'd like I can copy and paste some info to you in an e-mail.

Weel, good luck with your job interview!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Monique said...

What you said is so true.

Imagine, I have been going through that crap for years and years and years. Deciding to adopt was like the Leaning Tower of Pisa falling off my shoulders.

Now we can just live for the moment and enjoy everything we do... day-to-day. :)

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you got the job, congratulations. If not, jobs are like buses, if you miss one, another one will come around soon (especially here in Mexico City!) Best of luck, either way.

Margaret

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you got the job, congratulations. If not, jobs are like buses, if you miss one, another one will come around soon (especially here in Mexico City!) Best of luck, either way.

Margaret

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about infertility support and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about infertility support so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by infertility support

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home