Thursday, June 03, 2004

the game show of life

I just got an e-mail from the organization where I applied for a job. Apparently, I was one of three finalists for the position, but not the grand-prize winner. Unfortunately, there's no consolation prize for the runners-up. No year supply of turtle wax or Rice-a-roni for me.

They did say that they'll keep my CV on file and will let me know if another position opens up. But I think they're just trying to let me down easy. I know that I could have done this job, and done it well. But if they didn't think I was the best candidate for the position, why would they want me for something else?

Last night, in a terribly anti-Mexico mood, I told my husband that I was going to start applying to jobs back in the US. I probably could find something here if my Spanish was better, or if I had the connections that are oh-so crucial to job-hunting in this country. I meant it as sort of an empty threat. But now, with this rejection, from a place I was pretty sure would hire me (I even did a free-lance consulting gig for them last fall), I feel like its time to start exploring my options elsewhere. Elsewhere being back in the states.

The one good thing to come out of this news is that I can go ahead and start making travel plans for the summer. My husband and I were hoping to go away somewhere for our first anniversary, but the plans for that were on hold until I heard about this job. Well, I've heard now and am as free as a bird.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home