Tuesday, June 22, 2004

age before beauty

I got back from my ten-year reunion yesterday evening. And let me tell you, I am exhausted. I am not as young as I once was and staying up until 3 am for three nights in a row really took it out of me. I think its going to be a couple of days before I feel normal again, before the bags under my eyes disappear.

It was great to be back on campus and see old friends and aquaintances. Everyone kept telling me that I looked exactly the same and I hope that's a good thing. I even got carded twice during the trip (something that never happens in Mexico), so I guess I still look eighteen even if I can't drink like I did back then.

Back in the day, my friends and I had nicknames for everyone on campus- I think it was so we could gossip about them without having anyone know who we were talking about. We named this one chick "27" because we thought she looked so old. And at eighteen, twenty-seven just seemed so ancient to us, so mature. 27 wasn't at reunion but I can't help wondering how she looks these days- older? younger? exactly the same?

Not surprisingly, there were a lot of balding guys and people who had gained more weight than me, people with more gray hair. On the whole, the women looked better than the men. But no one was unrecognizable. Folks had kids and spouses and grown-up jobs, owned property and all that, but we somehow reverted back to the people that we used to be- filling the same roles we filled then, playing off of each other in the same way. It was a little eerie.

I'm definitely planning on returning for my 15 year reunion and hope that I can convince my husband to join me. It'll be interesting to see where we are then- where our lives take us. Maybe 27 will show up to that one and surprise us all at how young she looks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about infertility and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about infertility so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by infertility

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home